Monday, November 1, 2010

What's For Dinner - Entry #2

Oh gosh! Its NOVEMBER! Where has the time gone? I'm extremely behind on my blog which means I'm behind on my "What's for Dinner" entries that I promised to you loyal readers (all 2 of you) about 2 months ago now! Yikes. I need to hop on it!
When fall comes I crave chili! Especially my mom's chili. This year, I whipped it up with 2 other very special recipes from other great moms (but not my own). The other two recipes came from Kelli and I LOVE them both. The 7 layered salad belongs to Matt's (Kelli's husband) mom and the cornbread is from Kelli's mom, Christy.
Christy made these two creations (along with her yummy taco soup) when I took their generation photos back in September. I'm so addicted to this cornbread and salad. Enjoy! oh, and feel very special that these recipes are being shared!

Chili
2# Ground beef
2 1# cans of chili beans
1 large onion
1-2 cloves garlic
4T chili powder
4tsp cumin
3-3/4 cups tomato puree (of course, my mom uses her home canned tomatoes from the garden = Yummy!)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp salt
( I also throw in some red pepper flakes (about a tsp) and some ground red pepper to give it some spice - my mom doesn't make hers spicy)

Brown meat, drain well.
Add spices, cook for 3-4 minutes
add other ingredients, cook for 30 minutes.


7 layer salad
head of lettuce
1 cup celery
16 oz frozen peas - cooked & cooled or thawed
1/4 c sugar (sprinkle on top)
1 cup sour cream mixed with 1 cup mayo
Bacon bits
Parmesan cheese

Layer ingredients in the order listed above (sprinkle sugar on top) then layer rest of ingredients. 
Make sure you dig into your dish and get all layers when served. 
Trifle dishes work great so you can see all the yummy layers. 







 Mexican Cornbread
2c self rising meal
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 large onion finely chopped
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 small can cream corn
3-4 jalapenos (small) or 2 large
1-2 Grated sharp cheddar

Mix all ingredients well
pour into a well greased pan or oblong pyrex dish
bake at 350 for 45 min - 1 hour (or until golden brown)

1 comments:

Chrissi November 5, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

mmm, i love food blogs but they make me so hungry! you should totally copy me with the 30 day challenge; i copied it from other folks ;) it's a fun way to have a months worth of posts!

Labels

Posts from the Past

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP