Sunday, August 29, 2010

"Whats For Dinner" Entry #1

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago - I am going to start sharing some of my mom's recipes so feel very lucky. I don't think I am going to put Mom's recipes in the same order on the blog as I plan to put them in my (soon-to-be-created) cook book but I made this one last week so I thought I would go ahead and share it. We (aka Dad) have tons of peppers in the garden so what better way to use those delicious peppers than Stuffed Peppers. Here is Mom's stuffed pepper recipe. :)

4 large or 6 medium bell peppers
1-1/2 cups cooked rice (I like mine with more rice so I usually cook 2 cups)
1 pound (or a little more) ground beef. 
1 small onion
1 tsp italian seasoning  (delicious to some fresh basil if you have it)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Cut the tops off the peppers, take out the seeds, core & veins.
Boil a pot of water with about a tsp of salt. When the water boils, put the peppers in for 5 minutes.
Take the peppers out and set them aside
Cook the beef, pepper and seasonings until brown
Drain the fat off the beef mixture
Mix the beef mixture with the rice
Stuff the peppers
Cook in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until heated through
** Note **  My mom has never made anything too spicy but Brad & I love spicy food so since I've been making this recipe for Brad - I add 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp chili powder, a dash of red pepper flakes (depends on how hot you like things) & a dash of red cayenne pepper. I've added these seasonings with the italian seasonings before and have also made it without the italian seasonings. Both are delish!



 
Some of my peppers have holes in them only because a couple of them had spots that I cut out. I didn't want any of those delish peppers to go to waste!

0 comments:

Labels

Posts from the Past

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP