On the Bright Side
Here I am, Sitting, much of the same for the past 10 days (actually mostly lying down) but I guess I should be thankful I have enough strength to sit up. I have had a lot of time to think since surgery last Friday, some good & some bad. I just wanted to share some of my thoughts with you.
Although it has been hard over the past several months and most recently since surgery, I think about those people that have it much worse than me. I thank God for what I've been given and so I decided to think on the bright side.
1) Having health insurance and being able to afford the doctor visits (multiple!).
2) The doctors realizing what is likely keeping me from getting pregnant and suggesting solutions.
3) Having a successful surgery that removed the orange-size cyst from my left ovary and a few polyps from my fallopian tubes & uterus.
4) Having 'bearable' pain since surgery. I haven't once felt like I "could die" or that I couldn't do this.
5) Being married to the most supportive, hard-working, smart & fun husband on the planet. Have I mentioned he is funny? REALLY hurts to laugh but I can't help it!
6) Having family so close by. I seriously don't know what I would have done without my mom living on the same property as us. She has done so much & you all know what an amazing cook she is *Bonus*.
7) Realizing who your true friends are and who those people are that would put their busy lives on hold for you when you are in need. I've heard friends & family say that it takes a difficult situation to realize who your true friends are. I know that my 'friends' have busy lives and things of their own that are going on but I guess I've always prided myself on being that friend that would be there in a blink of an eye if there was ever a friend or family member that needed a helping hand. Is it wrong to expect the same in return?
Something like surgery that has a 6 week recovery (Lord help me) can be exhausting both emotionally & physically. I recently read this poem and it reminds me of those friends that mean the most to me (some new & some old). I am truly thankful for the visits, meals, cards and genuine well wishes. You have no idea how helpful you have been and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
And we all need love for a full life depends
Not on vast riches or great acclaim,
Not on success or on worldly fame,
And holds us close in their thoughts and prayers-
For only the knowledge that we're understood
Makes everyday living feel wonderfully good,
And we rob ourselves of life's greatest need
When we "lock up our hearts" and fail to heed
The outstretched hand reaching to find
A kindred spirit whose heart and mind
Are lonely and longing to somehow share
Our joys and sorrows and to make us aware
That life's completeness and richness depends
On the things we share with our loved ones and friends.
-Helen Steiner Rice
It turns out that this sweet brown bear belonged to my husband, Brad, when he was just 5 years old. I can't believe what great condition this bear is in after 23 years! Incredible, that's all I have to say about that. I cried like a baby when I opened this package (and it hurts to cry). I just couldn't believe how sweet this gift was. Mr. Brown Bear has brought lots of smiles, stories & laughter (also hurts) over the past 10 days. I also hear that Brad's brother, Wes, is jealous that the bear came out of the attic for me. :) A special thank you to Beverly for this very thoughtful gift.
9) Fresh Flowers. oooh. Not only did I receive Mr Brown Bear but I also received countless cards and 7 bouquets of flowers! Wow. I couldn't believe how beautiful some of the flowers were. The bouquet from Brad's dad & step-mom even included a stuffed bear, balloons & a pitcher that I could use for tea, water or COCKTAILS! later on. The other bouquets from - Kev, Blair & Wes (so big and still in bloom!) - Janelle (who also brought me a bell to ring for assistance, this has been hilarious!)- Work - Toni, Stephen & the kiddos - Sarah - Megan & Kathy - Josa & Kelli. I LOVE fresh flowers and I don't think my house has ever smelled so good. Thank you everyone!!
Thank you to Josa for taking these photos of my bouquets.
10) Home cooked meals (not prepared by me). Brad was so funny about all of the food we have been getting over the past week or so. It overwhelms him and he thinks he has to eat it all right away! He stands at the fridge and contemplates what will be eaten next.
Brad - "I just never expected so much food"
Mom - "So do you want Suzie to have surgery again next year?"
Brad - WAY too long of a pause and then a hesitant "No".
Me - hurts to laugh. hahahaha
A huge thank you to Amy (among so many other things!!), Alison, Summer, Josa/Kelli & Mom (about 10 times!)
You gals have no idea how helpful this has been.
11) Smiles. Megan & Kathy brought this huge smiley balloon over the day I got home from the hospital and it has been such a hoot. Its just so big that you can't help but laugh! ...still hurts to laugh but it doesn't hurt to smile! :)
12) Oldest & Dearest knows best - In addition to the people mentioned above that stopped by to bring flowers or meals, my oldest and dearest friend Erika came over with her boyfriend Matt. She didn't bring flowers or food but what she did bring makes me laugh every time I think about it. She brought two coupon books for Lovers/Couples. These books include things like "This Coupon is good for: One relaxing foot massage lasting at least 15 minutes." ---oooh, I think I'll cash this one in tonight. ha & "This coupon is good for an evening of delicious fun with chocolate sauce - no bowls, no spoons, just you & me." --- YIKES. I feel dirty just typing that. (still hurts to laugh).
Erika handed me the booklets while saying "Now stop worrying about having kids and just have fun!"
My rebuttal included "When are you guys getting married?" - I crack myself up.
13) Great arm & leg workout - Since I cannot use my abdominal muscles (or what little was there in the first place), I have really been working my arms and legs to work myself onto/off of the bed, positioning myself on the couch or very carefully walking up/down stairs. Its been rough at times!
14)Mindless television - Watching anything Bobby Flay on the Food Network or the Cooking Channel. I love him and his recipes. I have also enjoyed Dr. Oz at 3:00 and sometimes the Ellen Show on at 4. I would say the majority of my time I am watching HGTV or the Food Network. This only inspires me to do a lot of things I can't physically do at the moment but being inspired is nice!
15) Brainstorming - I've had a lot of time to think about things I want to do, places I want to see with my hubby, ways to improve my photography business, planning for Lauren's baby shower, digital scrapbooking, designing, house projects & blogging! :)

















2 comments:
Wow!! You have done a lot of thinking!!! haha! I'm just glad that I live close by so we can come by often! Sorry we couldnt' stay long today! Also, I should explain why my son looks like a rag-a-muffin without shorts on! I didn't think about that part---his shorts were too big and kept falling off. So we just took them off since it made Suzie laugh and hurt her! I love you, Suzie!! Pax loves his special surprises, too!
I was going to ask why Pax didn't have any pants on!! I think it should also be noted that you think EVERYTHING is funny-ha! Your girdle looks like hose belly buster belts on the infomercials...and with all the laughing, your abs will be back soon enough!
Glad you are making good use if your extra time! I'll be there next week when camp is over! Love ya!
Post a Comment